Sunday, March 6, 2016

Watercolor Blog Hop

It's time to play and and have fun using watercolor. 

A blog hop is one big circle of creative inspiration.   About 30 Close To My Heart consultants have joined in this blog hop to showcase various ways to use watercolor.  

Close To My Heart has both watercolor paints and watercolor pencils.  The beauty of the paints is that you can just let the colors run together, or water them down or build up more color to achieve just the look you want.  The pencils are great when you would like to have a little more control over your color, but you would like the look of watercolor.  You just color using the pencils and then use a wet paint brush over it to produce the look you desire.

If you are coming from Tracey's blog, you are on the right path.  At the end of my post, you will find a link to the next blog in this hop.  If you get lost along the way, you can find a complete lis of participants here.

In preparing for this blog hop, I played around with my watercolor paints and some techniques that I hadn't tried before.  Plastic wrap was used in the one I liked best.  So most of my samples involve that technique.  I have also been trying to find some time to do some art journaling and prayer journaling.  For the past few months I have found time to do prayer journaling several times a week, but haven't had time to start the art journal.  So for this post, I decided to use some of the watercolor samples to combine my prayer work with my art work, and put them into protectors that will fit into my new CTMH planner.

First, I will show you some of the samples using the plastic wrap.  Here's a link to find out more about the technique.  I wet my watercolor paper using my CTMH spray pen, then added several colors, and then applied the plastic wrap and left it on the paper until it dried.





Now here are the pieces I used for my prayer journal cards.

The lettering is obviously hand lettered (and I need a lot of practice there) using a black sharpie pen.  I stamped the butterflies, but decided to trace them with my sharpie so they would be as bold as the writing.


Here's another sample.  I didn't use the plastic wrap on this.  I just applied color to a very wet paper and then held the paper up to let the color run.  I then added a second and third color and let them run together.   I really do like the effects with that technique as well.




Supplies used are all Close To My Heart products except for the black Sharpie marker and the plastic wrap. You can click on each to see (and/or order) the product on my website. 
Stamp set - Your Beautiful Self

Thanks for visiting today.  I hope you have some time to play, relax, and have fun with watercolors like I did.  Enjoy lots more creativity as you visit all the participants in the hop and see many more ideas for using your CTMH watercoloring supplies.   Next stop on the hop will be  Marie's blog


6 comments:

  1. What a fun technique! I love your prayer journal idea for the planner even more! Thanks for sharing your journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous technique- this almost looks like crystals or jewel shards so would be great paired with our diamond stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome technique! I thought you had to hand paint the jewels on the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this technique - had never seen it before, but am anxious to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW... your cards are beautiful with this technique! Love the quotes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you.